Monday, February 13, 2012

"My baby wants internet"

The day after Rob drilled a hole in his fingernail, we had an appointment with Time Warner.  Ever since we moved abroad, Rob and I have foregone television or cable service, doing our best to minimize the time we spend in front of the boob tube.  No doubt, though, that once back in the states we did begin to stream series such as Parks and Recreation or The Office on the web.  Like many Americans in the grind of 40-60 hour weeks, we often found ourselves reading less books and watching more movies and sitcoms.  We also get all of our news online and, of course, keep up with friends and family via email.

So when we moved onto West Johanna Street, having access to the internet was about as important as having access to the food in our new refrigerator. We would starve without wireless.

Rob and I were both home when the nice man in his early thirties showed up to re-connect us to the world wide web.  We welcomed him with smiles.  He took a look at the house and realized that the previous owners had not had internet set up.  The only way to get us hooked up was to climb twenty feet up a telephone pole located on the corner across the street from our house.  "Those are live wires up there," he told us.  We looked back at him, not sure what he was trying to say.  He had on construction boots, jeans, and a tool belt and looked fit and more than capable of  climbing the ladder that he had in his truck. He looked back at us.  "I've got new baby twins at home," was his response to our confused faces. "That's gotta be 20, 25 feet up that pole."

Rob and I looked at each other, a little bewildered that the internet guy was not prepared to set up our internet.

"I'm an engineer," Rob said with authority that implied that his degree qualified him to scale telephone poles. "If you can just tell me where to attach the connector, I can do it." 

I raised my eyebrows. "Rob, the wedding is in less than a week.  If you are on crutches down the aisle..."  My tone was concerned and argumentative.  However, I had seen Rob climb plenty of trees even with a chainsaw in one hand.  He has done a little bit of rock climbing and is incredibly agile.  Plus, I really did want that internet hooked up. 

"I'll be fine," Rob said nonchalantly. 

"At least change your shoes," I suggested.  There was my mistake. Rob was wearing flip flops, absolutely not designed for climbing anything.  Anyone who knows Rob knows that a suggestion to wear something other than what he feels like wearing seals the deal. He will not change.  Furthermore, my request for him to tie on some sneakers was like saying I didn't think he could make the climb in flip flops.  I had, essentially, five days before my wedding, just dared my fiance to climb a 20 foot ladder in flip flops and balance there while weaving his arm through live electrical wires just so I could watch Grey's Anatomy

The Time Warner guy braced the bottom of the ladder.  "We're getting married next week," I told the stranger who was spotting my husband's latest stunt. He gripped the rungs tighter.  I stood in front of our house and watched Rob ascend, the wire clutched in one hand, his flip flops bending over each step. Once Rob had reached the top, the cable guy shouted instructions such as "NOT that one!" or "Careful, now!" up to Rob.

Rob slowly wove his arm through the live cables and connected our wire.  As he was removing his fingers from the nest of electricity, the cable guy said, "Your husband's got guts.  He's pretty determined to get the internet set up."

Rob, having heard this compliment, smiled and paused his descent. He called down the motivation for his perilous adventure, "Well, my baby says she wants internet!"

And, I have to admit, that ever since meeting Rob I have everything that I want. ;)  

No comments:

Post a Comment