Thursday, February 28, 2013

We have been living in the A-frame for a year, but Trey has been living on our porch for a month

Last week, when Rob got home from work, he went over to the house to make sure all the ethernet wiring he'd put in was complete. Work was set to recommence any day and this was his last chance to finish up.  He brought our dog, Risa, with him.

Lately, Maya has been fussy in the evenings before bed, so I've asked Rob to check in with me if he's working late to see if I need backup.   I've gotten used to a quick, "Be home soon" message, but this text took me by surprise:

Rob: I'll be home soon.  Met Trey the homeless guy living on the screened porch.
Me: What!?
Rob: Yep. Been here about a month.
Me: Oh my god

I remembered having stopped by the house with Sean the day before to make sure the key was in the lock box for the contractors.  While Maya and I waited in the car, Sean peeked inside "to check for squatters," he joked.  "No sleeping bags," he had reported.

I guess Sean hadn't checked inside our cooler on the screened porch where Trey has been storing his wool blanket for the past month.  While Rob and Risa were inside, with no light but Rob's headlamp, they heard a voice out back, "Where is my blanket?" someone asked himself.

Rob and Risa weren't afraid, just curious.  They walked around back.  There, they met Trey.  Rob and Trey each explained their reasons for being on the property after dark.  Trey assured Rob that he's always gone before any workers get there. He's been sleeping under a piece of plywood that has been propped up against the wall.

The two took a few minutes to talk.  When Rob got home I was, of course, anxious to hear what had happened. With Maya asleep just down the ladder, we whispered back and forth in the dark loft. Rob was sentimental.  Trey was about Rob's age. He's been moving from city to city.  He has been in Austin, sleeping on our porch, for the last month.
A picture of our screened porch as it has been since Trey's been living on it.
Rob had told him that he was glad at least someone was getting use out of the place, since no one had been working for months. However, he'd have to ask Trey to find somewhere else to sleep since workers would be back on site and it wouldn't be safe. He gave Trey what cash he had in his wallet and wished him luck.  When Rob talked to me about the encounter, he pointed out that Trey has never left a trace on the property. He hasn't ever tried to get into the house on a cold night nor left trash or any sign he'd been there. He'd hated having to ask him to leave.


The next day, workmen showed up on site again after about a 5 month hiatus.  We moved off 'The Lot' 13 months ago. Our original contract indicated a completion date of March 2012.  But we kept hitting bumps along the way.  Permitting issues, foundation mistakes, framing mistakes, rainy days, etc.  As is probably a source of tension in many such projects, our contractors wanted more money before making more progress and we wanted more progress before paying more money.  And so, lawyers have helped us to come to new terms so that we can, finally, move forward.

During the year that we've been living in the 'smurf house' (as a friend of Rob's calls it), we've had to constantly revisit our plans.
Each hiccup meant a new move-in date.  I've gotten my hopes up again and again, thinking that I would finally be able to invite my family to come stay with me.

Last February, my mom, dad, and Tracy came to visit when Sean moved to Austin.  They stayed in a hotel since we couldn't put them up.  


Originally, we had hoped to be in the new house in time for my siblings to visit for South by Southwest 2012.  When they came, they saw only a subfloor to the new addition under plastic, rained on day after day.
Here, the leaves were piling up as the site sat vacant.










Though I was disappointed to not be able to host everyone in a new space, we made it work.  Kelly and Joe slept on a pull-out couch at Sean's place. Tracy slept on an air mattress in the loft with Rob and me. And Joe's brother, Michael, slept on the couch at the A-frame. 

Trying on hats at Allens Boots on S. Congress


Next, we thought maybe we'd be able to move in before summer time, giving me the chance to take advantage of having the summer off to get unpacked.  Over the summer, we saw the framing go up and progress stopped again.

In May, my mom came to visit to help pick out tile and flooring. At the time, we thought we were in a rush to get all of the details to the builder.

Over the summer, we thought, Maybe we'll be in with time to set up the nursery before the baby comes. I started taking 'baby bump' pictures, thinking that the house would be changing as my profile changed. 


By the time we took the below picture I had given up on the idea of bringing Maya home from the hospital to a brand new nursery. And I was feeling pretty down about it. But I reminded myself of our blessings and tried my best not to dwell on the fact that Maya's first months would be in the smurf house.

Maya coming home to the A-frame from the hospital

Grandpa O'Brien and Maya


At one point we'd hoped that we would be able to host my family for Christmas, when they were planning to come to town to meet the first O'Brien grandchild. Instead, my parents rented a house near S. Congress and we all moved in for two weeks while the Johanna house sat vacant another month.

Maya in her bonnet from Grandma Jane
Enjoying our last dinner all together at La Condesa

Everyone had to come watch Maya get a bath. :)

We even set up a swing for her at the Christmas house


Now, in February 2013, work on the house has begun again.
The decking to the front porch is being framed out.
The spray foam insulation has gone into the exterior walls and attic.

The batting to sound proof bedrooms has gone into the interior walls.


And the clap board that the original house was made out of has gone up onto the screen porch ceiling, just above where Trey slept.


Our new home is now expected to be complete by May 15.  When I look at the above pictures of my family, I am reminded that for each new expected move in date, we have had a plan B, another option, another home. I have whined about the fact that we have been living in the A-frame, this temporary place, for over a year.  But Trey was living on our construction site for over a month, just grateful for the space.

While I can hope that Trey has found another place to sleep at night, I suspect that it will be yet another temporary spot.  I don't know if the house will be done this May, but Trey reminded me that even an expectation of a move in date is a privilege not to be taken for granted.






No comments:

Post a Comment